The ICM kits decals sheet and painting instructions
Here are the decal sheet and color instructions of the base ICM kit, with some
critiques and links.
The number of painting possibilities offered from the ICM kit is impressive,
but some critiques should be made.
The first problem is the choice of colors: sand and forest green are improper,
see MiG-3 colors.
Besides, the propeller blades should never be all black, many internal details
painting instruction are not very reliable, and Humbrol equivalences are unaccurate
for many colors.
- The 1st example, white 5, is an hypothetic representation of Pokryshkin's
first aircraft used in june 1941. No photo exists of this example, but it's
described by Pokryshkin in his autobiography; the number should be yellow,
and the writing Gvardya on the nose is surely wrong;
- The 2nd example, white 27 should
- The 3rd example, white 42 should be the short-nosed
version, and the camouflage is wrong; the digits should (or could, the only
photo is ambiguous) be red with white outline;
- the 4th example, with "smert nemetskim okkupantam" (death to the
German occupants) inscription, should be green/dark green painted, with very
thin silver outline on the stars and fixed tail undercarriage;
- the 5th example, white 21, is shown in a not very
clear photo; it shows that only the forward part of the spinner should be
painted white or silver, and the stars should be larger; the number looks
- the 6th example is red 02; there is some inaccuracy.
The wing should be without slats, the rear undercarriage should be fixed,
and the nose should be painted light grey and the fuselage star should have
black outline, the spinner should be black;
- the 7th example, black 12, should have black
number, and the fuselage star with black outline; the wings should not be
red; the propeller and spinner should be silver; the silver should extend
over the nose till the windshield; there should be a starter on the spinner,
and the tail undercarriage should be fixed;
- the 8th, 9th and 10th examples with arrow and slogans
should have fixed rear undercarriage.